SOOO.. basically when deciding what delicious morsels of goodness I would have at my kitchen tea party (39 days and counting!!!!) I NEEDED to serve these! So I came up with a really awesome way to serve them which is quick to assemble and looks so cute and appetizing, you almost don't feel too guilty if you have one or two more than you should ;)
Mixed Berry Compote + Ricotta Blinis
Just a note: When I make compote I use whatever fruits I had and add sugar and lemon to my taste, but I've included a basic recipe for you.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1½ cup frozen mixed berries
- vanilla essences 1 tspb
- Packet of Pre-made blinis - you can make your own if you wish, but I was pressed for time. I bought my pack of about 60 from CostCo.
- Ricotta Cheese
- Fresh berries to decorate
- Whipped Cream - I used canned (again... pressed for time! Don't Judge!) but you're more than welcome to whip your own!
What you need to do:
- In a pot, dissolve sugar into the water, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add the frozen mixed berries to the pot and stir frequently over a low - med heat.
- Continue to stir occasionally until the fruit has started to break down and become thick and syrup-y.
- Take the compote off the heat and let it cool.
- Pour the compote into a jar and store in the fridge for (up to 3 days) until you need to use it.
- To assemble the blinis, place a spoonful of ricotta onto the blini, drizzle the berry compote over the top, add a dollop (1/4 tsbp) of whipped cream and top with a berry. I used blueberries.
To make the Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese blinis, all you need to do is:
- Mix 1/2 a packet (you might want to add more, depending on your tastebuds) of Continental Spring Vegetable Soup in to 250g of cream cheese.
- Spoon mixture onto a blini add a piece of smoked salmon and a chopped scallion to garnish.
Both are really good and don't require too much time or attention! I'm keen to try other different flavour combinations - HMM.. I wonder..